Head of Legal and Compliance
Leanpay is growing! We are looking for a group Head of Legal and Compliance.
Leanpay is a 4-year-old scale-up regional Fintech, fulfilling a mission to enable consumers to pay for any product or service in instalments in any shop and in any channel with only a few clicks. Leanpay assures immediate response, no worries about paperwork, no waiting or separate trips to the bank, and no need for credit card or other financial product onboarding.
Buy Now Pay Later (“BNPL”) and digital Point-of-sale Finance (“dPOSF”) are the hottest trends in Fintech and Leanpay is working hard to be at the forefront of that trend in Central and South-eastern Europe.
Currently, Leanpay is a dPOSF leader in Slovenia. In 2021 Leanpay started operations in Croatia and based on a successful Series A funding round, in 2022 Leanpay continues its internationalization and growth into Hungary and Romania.
The Head of Legal and Compliance will be based and employed in Ljubljana, Slovenia, and will be reporting to the Leanpay group Co-founder and Chief Finance officer.
The main task of Head of Legal and Compliance is to provide high quality legal advice, guidance and representation, negotiating contracts, as well as training to upskill colleagues, effectively managing legal risk and ensuring the organisation remains compliant with regulation.
Leanpay cultivates a flexible work environment as well as a dynamic and agile operating model that will give anyone high level of responsibility and exposure to the company’s core business. Any successful candidate will have the chance to work with a talented and bold team, which will contribute to their personal and professional growth.
What will the Head of Legal and Compliance be doing?
- Providing indispensable legal and compliance expertise to all other business functions in the company;
- Developing legal frameworks and processes that champion legal and regulatory compliance;
- Provide advice on various topics regarding law and regulation;
- Provide legal advice on various topics such as general corporate law, foreign business law, consumer protection law, consumer credits and banking law;
- Develop, maintain and implement the Country compliance, including formulating compliance policies and procedures, regulatory documentations, and maintaining compliance registers;
- Work closely with internal teams in Leanpay countries to ensure enhancements in compliance processes are adhered to and play a driving role to implement system changes;
- Assist to conduct compliance risk assessments and develop plans to address regulatory gaps and drive remediation efforts;
- Strong cooperation and driving the process with Regulators;
- Being on top of legal and regulatory changes and maintaining that knowledge in organization’s operations and legal documents;
- Supervising the creation, implementation and enforcement of policies and procedures, especially in the area of regulator and customer protection law;
- Bringing good judgement and common sense and offering practical solutions to the affiliate legal needs that involve multiple stakeholders and accommodate different needs and perspectives;
- Experience in banking domain, especially retail banking.
We consider as a plus:
- Experience in Project Management in related fields;
- Experience and in-depth understanding of PSD2 directive
What will the successful candidate have?
- A Bachelor's degree in law;
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in related fields - banks, retail banking or compliance;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law/compliance procedures;
- Fluency in English (both verbal and written communication);
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the KYC process;
- Analytical way of thinking with an ability to proactively anticipate areas of risk and initiate efforts to address them;
- Proven experience in representing the Legal function on country-wide or region-wide strategic initiatives and highly complex cross-geography business transactions;
- Capable of interfacing with a multitude of Company functions to deliver consistent and accurate support and bring insightful analyses and judgement to support the business in making informed decisions;
- Be able to take the initiative by identifying and implementing process or other changes in ways of working to ensure that focus in Legal/Compliance remains on managing key risks and making best use of available resources;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Willingness to both work collaboratively and tackle things on your own;
- An understanding and flexibility to accept that priorities can shift regularly in a high-growth environment,
- Willingness to travel across the region frequently, and to be effective and positive in remote work situations.
What are the compensation and benefits?
- A competitive package aligned with similar positions in Slovenia,
- 25 days initial annual vacation time.
If you feel this job fits you perfectly, we suggest you apply. We expect a short and convincing application letter and a CV with the application to this position.